Monday, September 23, 2013

Today is the Day!

  The hubby and I begin our low-carb eating habits today.

  I researched eating low glycemic/low carb, and they're close to the same thing. While I've heard plenty of opinions on low carb (don't cut out any food groups, low carb is bad for you, etc), the fact is that our bodies simply do not need simple carbs (see what I did there?). Complex carbs we do need, but there just isn't much nutrition, if any, that comes from refined sugars and flours.

  Not only that, but I eat WAY too much bread. When I was eating low carb before, I couldn't believe how much better, lighter, and energetic I felt! It just seems like a brilliant way to reduce calories and excess sugar.

  One of the issues some also have with low carb is that fiber becomes an issue, as one isn't consuming whole grains as often. That can easily be remedied with putting more vegetables and fruit into one's diet!

  Don't eat "garbage health food" from boxes that is high in salt and fat with a severely diminished nutrition content! For me, it's an obvious answer.

 In addition, and this is what really sealed it for me, my chiropractor (who is pretty educated in the area of nutrition) advocates low carb eating! In fact, I give him the credit for encouraging me to have at it again, and also to invite my husband to join me! He pointed out how it's refined sugars that make us fat, not necessarily foods with fat in them. So thanks, Dr. James Jessen of Specific Family Chiropractic (if you schedule with him, be sure to let him know that I referred you so that I can earn a free massage!) :)

 I've also started meal planning! I'll be planning out our meals each week, cooking the ingredients needed, and freezing or refrigerating foods so that they are quick and easy to prepare. Because let's face it, it's unrealistic when you're living life to expect that you'll be able to cook a full blown, healthy gourmet dinner each night. Yes, I actually used to believe that this was possible when I was first married. And, oh yes, I learned that it's not, after losing my mind. A few times.

  Thanks for reading, and happy low carbing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment